Friday, October 29, 2010

Ms. Tracy's Wild Ride

My friend Dawn recently told me that for her 50th birthday her husband took her for a helicopter ride. Apparently in an effort to trump her gift I managed to get myself a ride in the ambulance in the wee hours of Thursday morning. I think she wins.

Around 4:30 or 5 Thursday morning I woke up with a stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. I hopped up out of bed to check things out in the bathroom because I guess that's where one checks such things and the room started to go black. I remember calling out for Mark. The next thing I knew I was flat on my back and Mark was kneeling over me telling me the paramedics were on their way.

Damn.

I'd have given anything not to have the ambulance come to our house and haul me out in front of the kids, but given the pain and the sudden loss of consciousness, well, it was the right thing to do. I'm so glad he was there. I remember thinking how comfy I was on my pillow and thinking, "Wow, how did Mark get me back on the bed? He's so strong," and then I got a look at the blue plaid fabric and realized I was on Wally the Wonderdog's bed. At least I picked a soft place to land, huh?

Mark told the kids what was happening and assured them that I was awake and OK and I yelled out something to them so they knew it. The medics arrived and whisked me off to the ER as my blood pressure was pretty low and continued to drop a few points on the way. After all that drama and a lot of tests and an ultrasound, it turned out to be a ruptured ovarian cyst---nothing serious.

My mother-in-law had come to the house and treated the kids to breakfast before school. Mark called the school as soon as I was released to let the kids know I was on my way home and that I was fine. When they got home they threw down their bookbags, piled on the sofa next to me and told me how much they loved me for the next hour. It was weird, and wonderful. Then Anna Marie came by to play and they immediately forgot I existed and ran outside. Ah, back to normal.

So now we're back to discussing the important things in life: Halloween costumes and who has the best candy on our street. As for me, I'm done with the scary stuff for awhile!

1 comment:

dawn said...

you're so freaking competitive, missy!
:-)
xo