Sunday, February 1, 2009

February---keepin' in real

I realize I left my poor journal hanging with my last post---and yes, it actually did snow that night. We got around 3 inches in these parts and the next day was everything a snow day should be. The kids managed to sleep until a little past 7, which is miraculous considering how ramped up they were. I had already been up for nearly two hours, having sat bolt upright at 5:15 a.m. and called my work's inclement weather hotline, to see if my office was closed. And mercifully, it was. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I put on my slippers and headed downstairs to enjoy a cup or three of coffee in sweet solitude.

Later, I managed to convince the kids to postpone the sledding and micro-snowman making until after breakfast, which was indeed French toast thanks to my panic-driven trip to the store for eggs!

We dragged our little plastic sled over to the our neighbors', since their backyard has a nice slope. We had a blast for a good 45 minutes until poor Liv went down on her tummy, head first, and plowed right into the fence at the bottom of the hill. I raced down there, convinced that we weren't going to escape a winter without a trip to urgent care, but her cheek was just a little bruised. She was ready to go inside after that, though---her pride was also bruised from wiping out and then wailing in front of her friends. Poor baby. Nate went inside with us, but after a quick warm-up and some hot chocolate, he was ready to go back out. He went in and out about 49 times throughout the course of the day, determined to make the most out of every flake out there. Thank goodness Mark didn't mind going back out with him; after my feet thawed out I was reluctant to poke my tootsies back out onto the tundra.

It's hard to believe that was nearly two weeks ago, and now Februrary is here! Before I flipped the calendar page this morning, I took one long look at January. I really love January- - -it's typically a time of fresh starts, warm stews and our best shot at getting some snow. I also took a minute to reflect on how my resolutions have been holding up. Here's the short list.

Resolution: I will eat salmon and/or flax cereal at least three times a week to get more Omega 3's in my diet.

The reality: I gulp two huge fish oil capsules every morning.

Resolution: I will get up 30 minutes earlier every morning to exercise.

The reality: I bought a new comforter for the bed as a belated Christmas gift to hubs and me. It's poufy, oversized and snuggly. Also, I am apparently trapped beneath it until the snooze button has been pressed no less than 17 times.

Resolution: I will volunteer more often at the kids' school.

The reality: THIS one I can check. I have shown up three times to be "reading buddy" for some kids in Nate's class, and once in Liv's. There's nothing like seeing the teacher's face when you show up to help. Makes you feel like the calvary.

Resolution: I will figure out a way to resolve a family health crisis back home, one that will benefit everyone involved.

The reality: Fortunately, it's only February. This one could take awhile.

No comments: